Adres: Knockando, Aberlour, Banffshire AB38 7RY
Status: in gebruik
Capaciteit:2,3 miljoen liter per jaar
Uitrusting: 3 wash stills, 3 spirit stills
The distillery was set up by John Cumming, who had previously been a
whisky smuggler, in 1824. The distillery was sited high up on Mannoch
Hill, above the River Spey due to the peat softening the water. The
distillery started as farm distillery working on a seasonal basis after
the harvest had been gathered. The distillery was mainly run by his
wife, Helen Cumming, who used to sell bottles of whisky to passers-by
through the window of their farmhouse.
In 1885 the distillery was rebuilt on a new piece of land but continued
to stay in the hands of the Cummings, being run by Elizabeth Cumming,
the daughter-in-law of Helen Cumming. The stills from the old distillery
building were sold to William Grant who set up Glenfiddich distillery.
The new building and stills meant that Cardhu could produce triple the
amount of whisky it had previously produced. These higher production
levels lead to Johnnie Walker and Sons buying much of Cardhu's output to
put into their increasingly popular blend.
In 1893 Elizabeth Cumming sold the distillery to Johnnie Walker and Sons
on the condition that the Cumming family could continue the day to day
running of the distillery. Cardhu distillery kept working under these
conditions until the onset of the Second World War when wartime
restrictions meant that it was harder to use barley for distilling
In 1960 the distillery's still-house, mash-house and tun-room were
rebuilt, and in 1970 steam coils were introduced to heat the stills and
the number of stills was increased to six. Spring water from Mannoch
Hill started to be mixed with water from the local Lynne burn to supply
the increased production of the distillery.